Thursday, June 7, 2007

¡Adventuras en Salamanca!

Hello again! Things are going great over in Salamanca! School is going well-my teachers are FABULOUS. I am learning so much-a bunch of little details that I´ve never covered before, but always left me confused...until now! They have about a million ways to explain things to you, which is good, since everything is taught in Spanish. They know some English, but not enough to clearly communicate-but that´s actually a good thing, because it forces us to speak in Spanish. We went out for tapas-which are like appetizers-with our school last night. It was so much fun! I tried a sangría the other night-red wine mixed with fruit and some sugar...very good. But last night we had calímecho...my new favorite. It´s red wine mixed with Coke-I know, it sounds horrible, but all of the girls loved it. Probably because I couldn´t taste the alcohol! haha! Things are going really well with Sofía (my house mom) and Alejandro. I´m understanding her pretty well, and everyday we have about a 30-45 minute conversation over lunch, and that´s been really helpful. I showed her pictures the other day of the fam and friends, and I had the worst time trying to describe Dad´s work to her!! Haha!

The gente, or people, here are very different from Americans. I don´t stand out, but I definitely don´t look European. They´re all a lot smaller in stature and NONE of the guys are big-they´re all about5´8-6'0, and lanky. Their favorite haircut? The mullet! No joke! We see them everywhere!

We´re headed to Madrid and Toledo this weekend, so hopefully we´ll have fun down there. We´ve only been here for about 5 days, but it feels like weeks! The day is so long, because we go to class for 5 hours, but after about 3 PM, we have all day to explore, shop, study, and go out. I kind of like their schedule... I can´t wait to show you all the pictures...living here is like living in a dream-it is so beautiful. I showed Sofía pictures of the Drill Field ( the quad at MSU), and she was like, '¡es como las películas!'-it´s like the movies! Haha-I got a kick out of that. Well, that´s all for now. I miss you all so much, and I wish you could experience with me! But I´ll do my best to describe it to you! ¡chao!

3 comments:

flyfishn said...

You should explain it has..He gets to blow up things and get payed for it (dream job)! PS: I started the mullet tody!

Kylie said...

I love reading your blog... It sounds like you are going to have a fabulous time!

Kylie

Lindsay said...

Glad to hear you're having a good time! Take lots of pictures of that beautiful architecture for me! Love you!