Friday, June 15, 2007

Halfway There!

Well, today marks the end of two weeks in Salamanca for me! The first week went by pretty slow, but the days are flying now! We´re enjoying some really great weather here-it rained and got chilly yesterday, so we had some amazing hot chocolate last night, but today it´s breezy and a cool 65 degrees-perfection. Hate to rub that in to all of you, since I hear we´re having a pretty nice hot spell!

Tomorrow we´re headed to Toledo-I am so excited! We were supposed to go to Sierra Francia, the mountains, but the group wasn´t big enough.

There´s a phrase in Salamanca that you have to know if you ever come here-it´s ¨debajo el reloj¨, which means ¨under the clock¨. It´s the common meeting place for...everyone! In the Plaza Mayor, there´s this beautiful clock and underneath the walkway is a perfect place to meet with your friends because it´s nearly the center of town, so it´s pretty convienent for everyone! I´m going to try and attach a link to a picture of the Plaza, so look in the upper right hand corner of the blog...can´t promise anything, because the whole site is in Spanish now, so I have to do some major translating!

Some other cool things about Salamanca...they love frogs! (Ranas, in español) They´re considered good luck and the ¨special¨one can be found on a skull on the front of the old university. It´s very small and quite hard to find, but supposedly once you do, you´ll have good luck and good studies at the university. Salamanca also has a very cool tradition with their buildings-they´re all built/covered with the same type of stone. It´s a stone that´s only found in Salamanca, and it´s very sand based, so it´s mixed with some type of chemical/stone that oxidizes over time, so the buildings all have this caramel brown-reddish color-it´s beautiful! I´m desperately trying to find something that I can bring home that´s made out of this type of stone, but no luck so far!

School is going so great. I have never enjoyed learning this much! They teach everything in Spanish, but it makes so much more sense now! Watching and observing them has given me some ideas about how I want to teach Spanish, because I´m beginning to realize that there are quite a few things that could be much better. My teachers are absolutely phenomenal-I can´t get enough of them! They are so encouraging and correct you every time you mess up, which is so helpful because you usually won´t make the same mistake again!

Food in Spain....is quite different! They use a lot of what we do, but in a much different way. I´ve had quite a few unidentifiable things-you all would be proud of me for branching out! =) But, last night we found a Mexican restaurant-it wasn´t very good, but you should have seen us-we were like little kids because we finally found something familiar! We´re saving a night for pizza when we´re really craving ¨home food¨. I think I´m going to make a list of things I want to eat when I get back to the States...

I hope you´re all doing great! I can´t tell you what a great time I´m having over here! We´re in the midst of planning our long weekend trip to Granada for next weekend-should be lots of fun! There´s lots of Moorish influence there from when the Muslims occupied most of Spain from around 700-1492. We´re going to visit the Alhambra, where King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel gave Columbus the OK to travel overseas and where all kinds of history went down-it´s incredible-I can´t wait to see it! Have a great weekend (mine´s already here-haha!!) and I´ll keep you posted on anything exciting! -Rebecca

1 comment:

MissStaceyLee said...

grenada!!! haha-- this one you're actually pronouncing the correct way as opposed to all those times you tried to sneak in the long-a sound when we were talking about grenada, ms!

when you get back, i'll try and find some white asparagus for you =)