Tuesday, June 19, 2007

We have plans!

Updated....sorry-had to cut if off early to go to class the other day!

We´ve finally decided where to go for our last hoop-la in España...on Saturday, we´re headed to Segovia and Ávila, two towns very close to each other, that have some really old cathedrals, castles, walls, and a HUGE ancient Roman acqueduct-I´m excited! On Sunday, we´re headed to Santander, a town on the north coast of Spain. We´re also hoping to head over to Bilbao, about an hour away, to visit the Guggenheim Museum, this really cool modern art museum. I think it´s going to be really neat to visit up north because where we are is in the Basque country, which is an autonomous community in Spain. They speak there own language that is one of the oldest languages in the world and it has no ties to any other language, so it´s really interesting! It also makes it IMPOSSIBLE to understand, because there are NO similarities, but they all speak Spanish, so that´s good.

There are four official languages in Spain: Castellano, Catalan, Gallego, and Vasco. Everyone is required to speak Castellano, which is what I speak (it´s the normal Spanish). Catalan and Gallego are similar to Spanish, but definitely have their differences. And Vasco...is just plain weird-very ancient!

Salamanca has storks! I have been meaning to tell you all this for weeks now! Storks, like bring the baby home storks! So cool!

Salamancan style: more discoveries...the guys here definitely wear capris...weird, and I do NOT recommend it for our guys.

This weekend we´re headed to Segovia, Ávila, and Santander...I´m so excited!
Segovia has the castle that was the inspiration for the Walt Disney (Cinderella) castle! I´ll be sure to take lots of pictures.
Miss you all so much-countdown is at 8 days before I get home!

3 comments:

mary lynn said...

Rebecca, I am enjoying reading about your adventures in Spain. What a great experience! I have traveled to many other countries but never Spain. You have sparked my interest. Sounds like you are getting a great Art appreciation education. Drew would enjoy that. Keep posting and taking us along on your adventure. I am going to forward your blog to Susan Vest, she spent last summer in Spain and will greatly enjoy reading about your trip. Take care and God bless,
Ms. Mary Lynn

flyfishn said...

RooRoo, It's 49 degress and I'm drinking hot chocolate! I knew you would smile. Have fun and stay out of trouble!

jonathan wagner said...

hey! i am having fun reading all about life in spain. sounds like a blast. we miss ya!

btw, i think the castle that inspired the walt disney castle is actually in germany! maybe there are multiple ones, but the one in germany looks exactly like the walt disney one.