Friday, June 8, 2007

One week down...

Well, I´ve finished my first week at school! It feels good to have a break-I´m getting a little worn down. I didn´t really have any jet lag when I got here, but it caught up to me about Wednesday and I haven´t felt great since then. I think I´m a little bit sick, so I´m trying to take it easy tonight. Sofía smokes in the house, and it´s really started to irritate my eyes and throat.

We´re headed to Madrid in the morning--yay! We have a tour with the school around the city, and we get to visit some wonderful places-like the Prado museum! Which has works from Fransisco de Goya, Velazquez (Las Meninas-one of my favorites), and el Greco...this probably means nothing to those of you who didn´t have Sra. Clough´s Spanish 4, but these are some of the most famous Spanish artists of all time, and I can´t believe I´m going to be able to see their work right in front of my face! They also have some of Picasso, but his famous piece, Guernica, is in another musuem, so I hope I have time to go see that too. We´ve decided to go to Toledo another weekend because it was going to be crazy to try and cram everything into one day in both cities.

I think we´ve finally put our finger on the Spanish style...it´s kind of like grung, punk rock, ´80´s wear...Lots of leggings, weird hair, and I saw a girl with a cut off shirt and sports bra on today--¡máma mía! That´s at least what people my age are wearing...everyone else has on too many clothes, I think. It´s hot here and they´ve got on jackets, blazers, and sweater vests! It´s a little chilly in the morning, but by the afternoon, it´s quite warm.

And I heard MSU´s playing to qualify for the College World Series this weekend against Clemson--yay! How exciting!

Things are going quite well...still no hot water, but these people don´t seem to believe in air conditioning either, so when you wake up in the morning, you´re so hot that the water actually (sometimes...) feels good!

Next week we have Tuesday off of school for some celebration...they celebrate just about every Saint here, so we get the day off to relax and join the festivities! I think me and some of the boys are going to a bullfight-I heard it´s kind of sad (they kill the bull right in front of you!), but it´s also part of their heritage, so we´ll see how that experience goes...

Hope you´re all doing great! ¡Adiós!

No comments: